Important Information From Legal Aid Chicago:
Employment – Sick Leave and Unemployment Insurance
The new federal law, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, goes into effect on April 2, 2020. Find out how workers impacted by COVID-19 and those serving as caregivers for individuals with COVID-19 will be eligible for paid sick leave. Call us if you have questions or need help, at 312-340-1070, or apply for our help online.
- Are you eligible for paid sick leave?
- In Response to COVID-19: Rights for Essential Workers – En español
- COVID Unemployment Insurance Eligibility Journey Map
- Unemployment Benefits for Immunocompromised Individuals May 2020
- UPDATE! How to Get Your IRS Stimulus Payments (Updated 2021.3.23) – En español: Cómo obtener sus pagos de estímulo del Servicio de Impuestos Internos
- Chicago & Cook County Paid Sick Leave – En español: Al pago por incapacidad de Chicago & Cook County
- COVID Illinois Unemployment Benefits FAQ (Updated 2020.12.29)– En español
- Fed Legislation Paid Sick Leave & FMLA – En español: Legislación Federal al pago por incapacidad y FMLA
- Unemployment Benefits in Illinois (Non-Citizens) – En español: Beneficios de desempleo (inmigrantes)
- Legal Aid Chicago Youtube: Unemployment Benefits and COVID-19
Health Information and Benefits
- Health Coverage for Illinoisans Who Become Uninsured During the COVID 19 Pandemic
- Illinois Department of Human Services Telephone Application Help – En español
- Legal Aid Chicago Youtube: Illinois Department of Human Services SNAP and Medicaid Benefit
- UPDATE! COVID-19 SNAP (Food Stamps) (Updated 2021.04.01)
- EXTERNAL LINK: SNAP Recipients can now buy online from ALDI – 2020.12.14
- NEW! SNAP for College Students during COVID-19 – 2021.02.08
- SNAP Work Requirements for ABAWDs Temporarily Suspended – 2020.04.01
- IN THE NEWS: Coronavirus and Poverty: A Mother Skips Meals So Her Children Can Eat – 2020.03.20
- IN THE NEWS: What you need to know about getting food from CPS during coronavirus – 2020.03.16
- Keeping Utilities on During COVID-19 (Updated 2020.12.16) – En español: Mantener los servicios públicos activados durante la crisis de COVID-19
- EXTERNAL LINK: Utility Bill Assistance for Chicago Residents (Updated 2020.12.22)
Debt Collection and Consumer Scams
- UPDATE! Federal Student Loans and COVID-19 (2021.02.16)
- Private Student Loans and COVID-19 (2020.06.29)
- COVID-19 and Consumer Debt Collection (Updated (2020.07.23) – En español
- Medical Debt During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Eviction Moratorium Notice (Updated 2020.06.22)– En español
- UPDATE! Can I be evicted during COVID-19 Crisis? (Updated 2021.03.08) – En español
- COVID-19 Right To Know Ombudsman
- COVID Mortgage Relief (Updated 2020.09.30) – En español
- UPDATE! Foreclosure + COVID-19: Tips to Help Keep Your Home (Updated 2021.02.26) – En español: Ejecución Hipotecaria y COVID-19: Consejos para Ayudar a Conservar su Casa
- Mortgage Forbearance (Updated 2020.05.04)
- COVID-19 & Property Taxes (Updated 2021.01.20)
- Nursing Homes and COVID-19 Information
- EXTERNAL LINK: National Fair Housing Alliance Lists Available Relief for Mortgage Borrowers – 2020.03.21
- Safe Home Solutions for Survivors – 2020.04.17
- IN THE NEWS Chicago Tribune: Abuse Doesn’t Stop During a Pandemic – 2020.03.19
Stay Home & Volunteer! Check out Legal Aid Chicago’s Remote Pro Bono Opportunities.
Need more info? please visit ILAO For additional Legal help during the Covid-19 Pandemic.
Would you like to support Legal Aid Chicago, while responsibly socially isolating?
Please consider donating a percentage of your Amazon order to Legal Aid Chicago. Just go to smile.amazon.com and enter your Amazon log-in credentials. The prompt will ask you to select a charitable organization that you’d like to support. Select Legal Aid Chicago as your charitable organization and begin shopping for your supplies and essentials.